ORDER your Filipino food ingredients online today – UK only.
Beef afritada is a Filipino stew made of potatoes, carrots and bell peppers cooked in fresh tomato sauce.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 piece potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 piece carrot (peeled and cut into cubes)
- ½ piece green bell pepper (seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- ½ piece red bell pepper (seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 pounds beef chuck (cut into 2- inch cubes)
- 1 piece onion (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add potatoes and carrots and cook, turning once or twice until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove oil from the pan except for about 2 tablespoons. Increase heat to medium-high heat. Add beef and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, turn and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overcrowd the pan, cook in batches as needed. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of oil if needed. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly until softened.
- Add beef.
- Add fish sauce and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- See further instructions: Kawaling Pinoy or reference cooking video below
Thanks to our friends at Kawaling Pinoy for sharing this amazing recipe.
Need any help? Get in touch through our Live chat or Contact us page.
[facebook] on Facebook
See more how to cook beef afritada content from the web:
Credits: Kawaling Pinoy