Nigerian Meat Pie
ORDER your Nigerian food ingredients online today – UK only.
Nigeria Meat Pie
Nigerian meat pie is a pie with a filling of meat and often other savory ingredients.
- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 grams butter or margarine (For a puffy pastry butter or margarine should be cold.)
- 2 pieces eggs, beaten
- 250 ml water, cold
- 1 piece egg, beaten (For glazing of the meat pie.)
- 300 grams ground meat
- 1 piece onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 piece bouillon cube
- 1 piece large potato, cube
- 1 piece medium carrot, cube
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (to thicken the filling)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients of the dough. and mix well.
- Add cold butter and mix thoroughly until you achieve a mixture that looks like bread crumbs.
- Once the mix looks like bread crumbs, make a well in the middle of the mix and add egg. Using your hands incorporate the egg into the mix.
- Add the cold water until it’s all held together for a smooth and elastic finish – this should take you between 10-15 minutes.
Place in a bowl, cover in cling film and place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. Now you can start with the filling!
- In a sauce pan, pour in the vegetable oil and heat up on medium. Saute onions and garlic for around 3 minutes and then add mince meat. Cook till brown, so around 3-4 minutes.
- Season the meat with thyme leaves, chili powder, salt and the bouillon cube, then mix well into the meat.
- Add carrots and potatoes into the the meat mix. cook for about 4 minutes. Then add the water, cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once water is reduced evenly add unto the mixture the flour to thicken the filling. Mix well into the meat and cook out the flour for at least 5 minutes. Take off from heat and let it cool down.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured table. Roll out the dough using your rolling pin, make sure that it is not too flat nor too thick. The use a circular shaped cutter ( or a bowl), cut the dough into medium size circles.
- Using a tablespoon, fill the cut-outs with the meat filling in the centre of the circles; Brush the ends with a beaten egg and close the pie, securing the edge using a fork. Repeat this process for all the pies.
- Transfer the meat pies on your baking tray which is greased with butter, or covered in parchment. Using a brush glaze the meat pies with the egg wash to make the pies shiny when cooked. Place the meat pies in the preheated at 170°C and bake it for 35-40 minutes or until the surface of each meat pie is lightly browned. Serve hot and enjoy!
See more how to cook Nigerian meat pie content from the web:
Credits: Ivonne Ajayi