ORDER your Nigerian food ingredients online today – UK only.
Okro soup is a delicious Nigerian drawn soup made from lady finger vegetable.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil (Palm oil can also be used but this is optional.)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 piece red onion (medium chopped)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 100 grams freshly grated okro
- 2 pieces stock cubes (dissolved in 100 ml of water)
- 1.5 lbs meat or fish
- 2 tbsp crayfish
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp bitter leaf (or a handful of fresh spinach.)
- In a saucepan on medium heat add vegetable oil, once hot add tomatoes, onions, tomato puree and ground okro. Use your cooking spoon to dissolve the okro in the mix.
- When all the okro has completely mixed with the oil, add water with the cube stock. Set the heat of your cooker to low and start stirring. You will notice the okro start to thicken. Keep stirring till the okro has completely absorbed the stock.
- Once it starts to simmer, stir every 2-3 minutes for 20 minutes.
- Add the assorted meat and fish, ground crayfish, salt to taste. The okro may have become thicker from the cooking. If so, add a little bit more water and stir very well. Cover and cook till the contents of the pot is well heated up.
- If you prefer your okro soup without vegetables, turn off the heat and serve. If vegetables are included add the bitter leaf or the spinach at this point. Stir well and cover for 10-15 minutes on low heat. Once done leave to stand for about 5 minutes and serve the soup with semolina or pounded yam.
Amala recipe: https://www.ethnicmixx.com/cuisines/amala-yam-flour/
Get your Nigerian ingredients from our online store: https://www.ethnicmixx.com/products delivered to your door – next day delivery on all items – see FAQ for more information on delivery times.
Need any help? Get in touch through our Live chat or Contact us page.
See more how to cook content